1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
When I was pregnant with my son in 2005, my husband gave me
my first DSLR camera. I quickly became obsessed! Started taking classes, going
to conferences, reading manuals and books... When my son was born in 2006, I
became a crazy mamarazzi. My niece and nephew were my other favorite subjects.
My sister sent a photo that I took of my nephew to some of her friends and a
couple of them replied asking if I would photograph their families! My official
business started in 2008, and I went full-time in 2013.
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
I have a boutique home studio located in Ashburn, VA. I do
most of my outdoor family sessions in my own neighborhood, which has acres of
conservation land with wildflower fields and nature trails.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I have a Canon 5D Mark III, and my favorites lenses are the 35mm
1.4L, 50mm 1.2 L, and 70-300mm 4/5.6L.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything else?
One of my friends asked if I photographed newborns
"like Anne Geddes" and until then, I'd never looked into it. I was
only doing lifestyle newborn sessions at the time. Well, I bought my first baby
hat and couldn't stop! I also photograph families with children of all ages and do
5. How would you describe your style? Where do you find inspiration?
My newborn photography style is mostly simple posed
portraits using minimal props so that the baby is the focus of the image. My
favorite newborn photographers are Keri Meyers, Pebbles & Polka Dots, and
6. Have you taken any photography workshops/training?
Yes, I've gone to Photoshop World twice and WPPI three
times. I've also taken Lighting, Composition and Photojournalism classes at a
local community college, and I try to tune into the occasional CreativeLive.com
class to "sharpen my saw."
7. Where do you like to shop for props? Do you have favorite vendors?
My favorite shops for knits are Baby Le Cradle, Little Lidz,
and Sunshine Baby Props, but I've bought props all over! There's an antique
store near me that's a great source for buckets, benches and more. I also love
checking out Home Goods at least once a quarter.
8. What is something you wish someone would have told you when starting out?
1. Calibrate your lenses. I just learned about this a few
years ago and it really helped make my focus sharper! It's pretty simple to do,
2. Don't try to edit in lots of different styles. For a while, I was trying to find my style and would play around with lots of different presets for each session, making the sessions a hodgepodge of different styles.
3. Only show clients retouched images and don't include images in your gallery you don't want others to see. It's inevitable that the unretouched outtake image that I include in a client's gallery "for giggles" will be shared hundreds more times than the ones I actually like and want to be associated with.
and work very hard. I'm confident success will come if you're all in
9. What are your favorite things about NBP.com? How long have you been a member?
I've been a member for 2-3 years, but I haven't been very
active. I'm hoping to change that and start sharing more to grow my network and
gather more inspiration. :-) I do get referrals from the online directory,
which is why I keep coming back!
10. Please share with us your Top 5 Favorite Images. Why are they your favorites?
The image of the two sisters with their brother is a favorite because of their peaceful expressions and their arms wrapped around their new baby brother.
The one of the baby girl in the basket I love because I had just finished taking photos of her in the basket and asked her dad to put his hands back on her while I set up the next shot, and the way he placed his hands was so gentle and beautiful, that I had to swoop back in for one more.
I love the little baby in the bear hat for the leading lines and the colors. Almost all of my boy sessions this year have been navy and gray, so I was thrilled for this boy's mama to choose light blue.
The little girl in the bucket with the pink cloth is a favorite because of how cozy she looks and how soft the fabrics are around her. I picked up this pink scarf for $12 during checkout at a makeup store. You never know where you'll find your next favorite prop!
The last image - oh, the dimple! Swoon!!
11. What is your photography site and NewbornPhotography.com url?
Website | Facebook |
NBP Profile | Twitter | Instagram
12. Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you other than a photographer?
I'm a mom to two (9 yo boy and 7 yo girl), am an avid reader
(mostly YA and Romance), have a fantastic supportive husband, friends, &
family, and I hate doing the dishes. :-)
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? Fill out our Spotlight Photographer form HERE! We look forward to featuring you!