1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I started taking photos of
my children when they were little, and it progressed to a full time business
for me in 2010.
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
I am currently living in
El Paso, TX, supporting my husband who is active duty stationed at Fort Bliss.
I have a large in home studio where we do mostly newborns and children. I love
shooting outside in locations like White Sands, but I also shoot a great deal
of events on our military installation.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I am currently shooting
with a Canon T3i and my favorite lens is my 50mm. I like to think that my work
is special because I have a knack for it, and that it's not all about the
equipment I use.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything else?
I love how new and fresh a
newborn baby is. There is nothing in this world that compares to how special
they are. I photography children and family portraits as well and I do a great
deal of photography in our military community too.
5. How would you describe your style? Where do you find inspiration?
My style is simple, fresh
and soft. I find inspiration in almost anything, and I love watching Ana Brandt
and Amy McDaniel's work as well.
6. Have you taken any photography workshops/training?
I have taken a few
Creative Live classes with Kelly Brown, Ana Brandt and was even able to watch
the great Anne Geddes at work last year.
7. Where do you like to shop for props? Do you have favorite vendors?
Etsy is an addiction, I
can't even lie and say anything else. I love all of the homemade items and it's
fun to know that someone put hard work into creating a prop for me to use. My
current favorite vendor is Oh So Fleeting and I've worked very closely with Trendy
Tot Tops for a few years now.
8. What are three things you wish someone would have told you when starting out?
To never give up, that it
is ok to say no and to focus on yourself and not your "competition"
... I think that as a photographer with access to so much social media, it is
easy to become overwhelmed with everyone else and how they photograph and what
new prop they have. The beginning of last year I decided to stop focusing on
comparing myself to everyone else and to just work on me. That has helped me
grow so much more than I could have every imagined!
9. What are your favorite things about NBP.com? How long have you been a member?
provides a safe place for me to come and learn and to have my work honestly
critiqued. I know that there will not be harsh words and individuals putting me
down ... yet I will be able to get honest and uplifting critiques that in turn
will help me grow as a photographer. I have been a member for almost a year and
I don't plan on leaving ever!
10. Please share with us your Top 5 Favorite Images. Why are they your favorites?
I love these photos
because they show both my love for newborn and a few show my love and support
for the military.
11. What is your photography site and NewbornPhotography.com url?
Website | Facebook |
NBP Profile | Instagram | Twitter | Google+
12. Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you other than a photographer?
I am a mother of three, a
wife to a soldier, a military veteran and a friend to some amazing individuals!
I love to garden, bake, crochet and recently I've become addicted to working my
own wool. I love my life and where I am right now and I often sit back and say,
Wow... I can't believe this is my life.
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? Fill out our Spotlight Photographer form HERE! We look forward to featuring you!