1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I dabbled in film
photography through high-school until 2004 when I got my first DSLR. Back in
the days of Myspace I started posting photos of my girls. I had friends who
liked my photos and asked me to take photos of their kids. I never thought that
I would be able to make a real job out if it, but over many years and lots of
work I have!
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
I am located in Vancouver,
Washington just north of Portland, Oregon. I have a separate living quarters addition to my home that is my studio. I also have a couple of wooded acres behind my house that I use for outdoor photos.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I shoot with a Nikon D800.
For newborns I use the 50.14G, 35 1.4G and the 105 macro.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything else?
Photographs are my most
treasured possessions. I have always loved art and loved creating.
When I became a mother and saw how fast my daughters grew up I fell even more in love with photography.
I have photographed just about everything over the years. I love maternity to babies first year best of all, but I adore lifestyle family photography as well as taking macros of nature.
5. How would you describe your style? Where do you find inspiration?
I am a good mix of vintage
with a lot of organic elements. I am inspired by the beautiful outdoors of the
Pacific Northwest. I love looking at how babies naturally curl their bodies and
for ways to accentuate the "newness" that is so fleeting.
I am also greatly inspired by texture and vintage textiles.
6. Have you taken any photography workshops/training?
I took Wildflowers
workshop about 4 years ago and the Farm girl workshop about 2 years ago and I
hosted Dewdrops photography at my studio last summer.
7. Where do you like to shop for props? Do you have favorite vendors?
I love Tanya's Tangles, Oh
So fleeting, Giddy4paisley, Knits & Giggles, Goodnight Moon, Dolly Priss, Whatsoever
Things to name a few. I shop a LOT at vintage and thrift shops. I love fabric
stores as well.
8. What are three things you wish someone would have told you when starting out?
* If you don't value your time no one else will.
* Trust your gut.. if a person feels like a bad fit it probably is.
* Stop comparing yourself to others.
9. What are your favorite things about NBP.com? How long have you been a member?
About two years. I love
seeing how creative everyone is and how supportive the community is to each
10. Please share with us your Top 5 Favorite Images. Why are they your favorites?
They are a variety of my
favorite things.. connection, colors, nature, vintage.
11. What is your photography site and NewbornPhotography.com url?
Website | Facebook |
NBP Profile | Instagram
12. Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you other than a photographer?
I am a Mama of four
daughters ages 15, 12, and 7 year old twins. I am married to a great guy who is
always game to dig through a salvage yard to help me come up with a new
background or home project. We have a little slice of country in the city with
our 3 crazy dogs and 24 chickens and a nice big garden.
I love crafting, sewing, thrifting, baking, gardening and spending time outdoors with friends and family.
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? Fill out our Spotlight Photographer form HERE! We look forward to featuring you!