1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I have always loved
photography, even as a child. However, as an adult I developed a love for
digital scrapbooking. I spent a few years learning all I could about graphic
design and building my knowledge of Photoshop. Through this my love of
photography was re-sparked and my desire to be able to take better photographs
grew. I spent the second half of 2010 portfolio building and officially opened
my business in early 2011.
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
I am located in Sydney,
Australia. I have a separate studio set up in my home.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I am a Canon girl. I shoot
with a 5d Mark II. I have three go-to lenses that I use in every newborn shoot:
Sigma 50mm; Sigma 35mm and Canon 100L.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything else?
I knew straight away that
I wanted to specialize in newborn photography. I just love newborn babies and I
recognize how special that moment is for a new parent. I offer 6 – 12 month old
session to my existing clients as well, but my heart is with my newborn work.
5. How would you describe your style? Where do you find inspiration?
This is a hard question! I
think my style is clean, warm and a little bit pretty (I love my pretty
headbands and lace!). For inspiration, I really just go with what I like –I
have learned to look at different props and only buy them if I love them, and
because of this, my style has developed.
6. Have you taken any photography workshops/training?
When I first started my
business, I took a photography workshop with Robin Long – she is amazing and so
kind and generous with her time.
I have now just started offering my own small group mentoring classes out of my Sydney-based studio.
7. Where do you like to shop for props? Do you have favorite vendors?
I definitely have some
Knitz, Peachy Poppet Designs, Avonli Cottage, The Buzy Bee Studio, Little Noggins, Lemon and Pearl, Ok Charli, Veronika G and Drops & Props.
8. What are three things you wish someone would have told you when starting out?
1. Although you love being a photographer, you need to run it as a business for profit, otherwise your family will suffer due to the large number of hours you will dedicate to it.
2. Study and practice – there is more to learn about photography then you ever imagined!
3. Developing your own style takes time – be kind to yourself
and work very hard. I'm confident success will come if you're all in
9. What are your favorite things about NBP.com? How long have you been a member?
Everyone is so kind and
generous with their knowledge. I love that it is all-about-newborns – there is
no better place to improve on your specialized skills then in a specialized forum!
10. Please share with us your Top 5 Favorite Images. Why are they your favorites?
It is so hard to select
just 5 images! These are some of my favorites that best reflect my style.
11. What is your photography site and NewbornPhotography.com url?
Website | Facebook |
NBP Profile | Google+ | Instagram
12. Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you other than a photographer?
I am a mother of 4 young children – three girls and one boy. I love books, movies, tea and chocolate (preferably consumed while reading my favorite book!). I love playing board games with my kids and we have on-going family championship competitions. My favourite city in the world in Paris, but if you told me I could live anywhere in the world, I would choose Boston. I have a background as an environmental lawyer and also lecture at university. I am always busy – constantly juggling a million tasks. I have one sister and she is my best friend.
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? Fill out our Spotlight Photographer form HERE! We look forward to featuring you!