1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I began my photography
career in my twenties as a tourism photographer. I photographed dive resorts
and beach hotels for brochures, way before the internet. Yes, I'm that old! It
was a wonderful opportunity to travel and I loved photographing people enjoying
their vacations! I started my portrait business in 1998 when I got married and
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
My studio is located in North West Los Angeles. I am very fortunate to be able to offer my clients a beautiful 1700 sq foot space in a very cool old artist building. It's only a couple miles from my home, which is really nice.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I shoot with Canon. I mainly use the 5DIII and Canon's nifty 50 (1.2). If I could figure out how to bolt that lens to my camera I would!
My other favorite lens is the 70-200.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything else?
A few years ago a portrait
client asked me to photograph their new baby, I figured how hard could that be?
Laugh out loud! Regardless of how awful I did, I was hooked.
I really only photograph maternity through 12 months, but for my clients that have been with me for several years I will do what ever they need.
5. How would you describe your style? Where do you find inspiration?
Oh gosh, that's a tough
question. I do tend to be on the less is more side of things and everything I
seem to produce comes out in what seems to be a pastel. But, I feel ever
changing. I never want to stop learning or being creative so I'm am constantly
trying new things. Sometimes it turns out ok and sometimes not!
I find inspiration everywhere but my main inspiration comes from being raised with a creative family. My mom is a wonderful artist and my dad was a very famous jazz pianist.
6. Have you taken any photography workshops/training?
Yes. I have also been
mentored by a friend (master photographer) for over 20 years. Again, I feel
like you can never stop learning! If I had the time and the budget I would take
a workshop a couple times a year. I'm highly dyslexic, to the point of it being
a major handicap so visual learning works best for me.
7. Where do you like to shop for props? Do you have favorite vendors?
Oh gosh, if I list my
favorites I will definitely end up leaving people out.
8. What are three things you wish someone would have told you when starting out?
How expensive it is to run a legitimate small photography business.
9. What are your favorite things about NBP.com? How long have you been a member?
I just joined a couple
months ago and I just love it. I love the positive and encouraging vibe of the
NewbornPhotography.com site! Also, I love all the information and vendors here.
10. Please share with us your Top 5 Favorite Images. Why are they your favorites?
It's so hard to choose images that are my favorite because I have an emotional attachment to my clients and their images but here are a few of what I feel reflects my style and personality.
11. What is your photography site and NewbornPhotography.com url?
Website | Facebook |
NBP Profile | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram
12. Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you other than a photographer?
I am a wife, a daughter
and a sister. I also pride myself in being an animal advocate. Up until my
horrific riding accident last year I would have also said I am a successful
competitive equestrian. So at the moment, I'm trying to figure out who I am without
horses in my life. Luckily, there's just that something about a newborn baby
that makes all life's little issues go away.
Babies are everything that is right in this world.
Thank you for reading a little about me,
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? Fill out our Spotlight Photographer form HERE! We look forward to featuring you!