1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I have always love photography and even had a darkroom when I was in high school. I always struggled to find a subject that interested me and explored other fields of art. After the birth of my daughter, I picked my camera up and fell in love with photography all over again. I started my business seven years ago and my daughter will be 12 next month.
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
I am located in the Hudson Valley, NY (about an hour outside of the city). Currently, I shoot newborns and babies in my residential studio and the occasional family on location. I am looking forward to securing a commercial studio in the near future.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I shoot with a Canon 6d and love, love love my 24-70mm 2.8. I shoot with this lens almost exclusively.
4. Do you shoot anything other than newborns?
I have always loved babies and newborns-even before having children of my own. I enjoy photographing children of all ages.
5. How would you describe your style & where do you find your inspiration?
My style is clean, natural and organic. I love neutral colors and hope that my images stand the test of time.
6. Have you taken any photography workshops and/or training?
I have never taken any formal photography classes, but have learned my craft from research and tons of practice and experimentation.
7. Where do you like to shop for your props? Do you have favorite vendors?
I love making my own props or scouring antique shops for original props. I love Knitsie Bitsie for hand knit items. https://www.etsy.com/shop/KnitsieBitsie. I am always on the look at for natural and sweet props to use with my clients.
8. Please share with us your top 5 favorite images!
My favorite images are always the last ones I took. I feel like I am constantly improving and can always find fault with my older images.
9. What are the 3 things you wish someone would have told you when you started?
I think every new photographer should remember to be true to themselves, make sure they get paid properly for their time and don't try to be everything to everyone.
10 Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you, other than a photographer?
I am a mother to three fabulous children aged 7, 9 and 11. When I am not shooting, I love cooking and just hanging out with my kids. We live in a beautiful part of New York and there is always some great adventure waiting for us outdoors.
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Spotlight Photographer.” We look forward to featuring you!