1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I've always been
interested in photography and took traditional courses in high school. My
background, however, has been in the advertising & design in Minneapolis,
MN for over 15 years. After working that grueling schedule and raising
children, I decided it was time to make a switch and pursue my photography
passion in 2010. I tried every type of photography... weddings, food, etc. My
passion has landed on maternity & newborn fine art and I am completely in
love with it. My design background has been a tremendous asset in producing
beautiful art for my clients.
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
My studio is in Mendota
Heights, MN - a 10 minute drive to the Twin Cities. I love being in the studio
and creating a special place for clients to relax, but I also photograph
outside as well.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I shoot with a Nikon D800 and 90% with my 50mm.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything else?
Honestly, the challenge. I tried it early on in my career and I thought - no way! It was so hard that I gave it up for awhile and pursued other things. But the beauty and innocence of newborn photography had a tremendous pull over me. I was completely drawn to studying it and conquering the art of photographing these little miracles. I still feel I have so much to learn, but every day I get to photograph a momma-to-be or a newborn, it's like Christmas morning!
5. How would you describe your style? Where do you find inspiration?
My style is warm, rich and more fine art. I'm inspired by so many other photographers out there, but driven to be as authentic as possible and push the limits of where maternity and newborn photography is going.
6. Have you taken any photography workshops/training?
I have taken a couple
workshops. Pebbles & Polka Dots and Kansas Pitts. Great and very talented
ladies - such an inspiration.
7. Where do you like to shop for props? Do you have favorite vendors?
Oh boy! Where don't I?! I
love Itsy Bitsy Blooms, Little Bittie Boutique, Red Owl Photo Props, The Dainty
Miss, Castaway Collection and the list goes on, and on and on!
8. What are three things you wish someone would have told you when starting out?
Be ready to go all in. I've put everything I have into this
business and I think that's the only way it can really work. You have to take
risks and work very hard. I'm confident success will come if you're all in.
and work very hard. I'm confident success will come if you're all in
9. What are your favorite things about NBP.com? How long have you been a member?
The community. I love that I can come here and get feedback
from incredible photographers who have really pioneered the art of this type of
photography. It's priceless.
10. Please share with us your Top 5 Favorite Images. Why are they your favorites?
1. This newborn image of sweet Owen also received merit recognition at the NAPCP International Image Competition this year in the newborn category.
2. Little Lana is so completely innocent here. I'm in love with the way she's curled up and the colors.
3. Whitney & her husband, Taylor were up for anything at their session. They were drawn to my organic, warm style and really committed to the experience. I love this image because that shows through.
4. The last image of sweet Sebastian reminds me of how strong these little humans are. After being in the NICU for weeks, he came home and was thriving. The set up here is 100% my style - the colors, the pose, the props.
5. This newborn image of Alli won 1st place in the NAPCP International Image Competition this year in the maternity category. I'm over the moon excited about this!
11. What is your photography site and NewbornPhotography.com url?
Website | Facebook |
NBP Profile | Twitter | Instagram
12. Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you other than a photographer?
Career-wise, I've been an interactive designer since 1997, building websites for brands like Miller Brewing, Kraft, 3M, Totino's, General Mills, etc. Other than that and being a photographer, I am a momma to two boys, Sorin (10) and Charlie (7)... and loving puppy, Sally. My husband, Christiaan, and I love spending time with our kiddos, traveling and enjoying our simply little life. xo
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? Fill out our Spotlight Photographer form HERE! We look forward to featuring you!