1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I have always loved taking
pictures of my daughters, and I spent a lot of time admiring the work of other
photographers. After years of dreaming of becoming a professional photographer,
I decided to go for it! I bought a used camera, took a ton of online classes,
drove my kids crazy because I was constantly taking pictres of them,
"borrowed" all of my friends newborns to photograph, and the rest is
history. I finally started my business in 2014.
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
I am located in
Jacksonville, FL and I shoot on-location.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I shoot with a Nikon D610
and 50mm 1.4 lens.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything else?
I have always had a love
for newborns. I work as a neonatal intensive care nurse, so it's no surprise
that my love for photography included newborns. I love to photograph children
5. How would you describe your style? Where do you find inspiration?
I love simple and sweet photos. I love neutral colors and rustic outdoor locations with a "country" feel to them. With newborns, I like to capture the little things....tiny little toes and fingers, chubby thighs, sweet lips, and even their adorable fat rolls. :)
6. Have you taken any photography workshops/training?
I have taken a couple of
online workshops including Ana Brandt's workshop. I've also done some
one-on-one mentoring with a local photogrpher here in Jacksonville, FL.
7. Where do you like to shop for props? Do you have favorite vendors?
I love to check out etsy
and facebook for props. I love the newborn posing fabrics I've purchased from
roses and ruffles. I found a lot of cute things from Devoted Knits and Designed
by Nicole Ann. JD Vintage props always has great props as well.
8. What are three things you wish someone would have told you when starting out?
That you will never stop
learning....there is always something that can be improved.
To always be true to your own style. It's hard not to get caught up in trying to replicate what other great photographers have done.
I also wish that someone would have warned me of all the late nights staring at my computer. :)
9. What are your favorite things about NBP.com? How long have you been a member?
I love all of the great
info and resources I find at NewbornPhotography.com. The new resource section
is a great way to find tips from other great photographers to help improve my
own skills. I just recently became a member, and I'm so glad I did:)
10. Please share with us your Top 5 Favorite Images. Why are they your favorites?
It is so hard to narrow it
down to 5 photos! Each of these photos have touched me in some way and make me
11. What is your photography site and NewbornPhotography.com url?
Website | Facebook |
12. Lastly, tell us about YOU! Who are you other than a photographer?
I'm married and I have 2
amazing girls who are 4 and 2 years old. I also work as a neonatal ICU nurse,
so my life is very busy taking care of my girls and working as a nurse and
photographer. But I wouldn't trade it for the world! I'm a huge animal lover and
a music lover!
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer? Fill out our Spotlight Photographer form HERE! We look forward to featuring you!