It’s time to
spotlight another NewbornPhotography.com
Photographer! Every Monday we will be spotlighting someone new! This is
your chance to tell us ALL about yourself and your business. It's your
opportunity to shine and share with the rest of us why you love what you do.
This week we are pleased to welcome Andrea Kinter of Andrea Kinter Photography! Welcome, Andrea!
1. How did you get started in photography and when did you start your business?
I picked up my first DSLR camera in May of 2010, I had taken my 3 month old to get her pictures taken by a girl I worked with who was starting a new photography business and after talking to her and seeing her work with my daughter Myleigh I couldn't stop thinking about how fun it looked. I was in the medical field and worked with a lot of very sick children and babies and it was getting harder and harder to leave work at work, I knew it wasn't something I wanted to do forever. So after talking to my mom she offered me her D90 to practice with and see if I could figure it out, after all she just had it sitting in her closet because she couldn't figure it out. So I contacted another friend of mine, Amanda Sardella of Eras Photography and she mentored me and pointed me in the right direction. By September I started my own business, probably a little prematurely but it's all worked out. My dad used to joke with me and say I was the only professional photographer he knew that didn't own a camera :)
2. Where are you located? Do you have a studio space or do you shoot on-location?
I am located in Mount Gilead Ohio, which is pretty middle of the state; I am a half hour North of Columbus. For the last 2 years I had a large area in my basement that was set up as a studio space, but in December of 2013 I opened a studio separate from my house. It is still at my house, which is convenient, but it is so nice to have a separate building just for my studio space. And I am in love with it; I still can't believe I have it. And I must give a shout out to my AMAZING dad, the contractor and builder of my studio.
3. What do you shoot with and what are your favorite lenses?
I shoot with a D700 and my primarily use my 35mm for my newborns; I just love being able to stay so close to them. I have recently purchased a 24-70mm, which I am loving too for my prop shots and parent shots.
4. What drew you to newborn photography? Do you photograph anything besides newborns?
I have always been in love with all things baby! I was that kid that was always playing with baby dolls, I think I played house until I was in Jr High. Then when I worked at Children's Hospital in Columbus I was ALWAYS going to the NICU just to sit and rock the babies at night, it was always so sweet and peaceful. I am truly in my happy place with a newborn in my arms. But when I started my photography journey I didn't necessarily start out to be a "newborn" photographer, I mostly said I wanted to do babies/kids, but over the last 3 years I feel like my greatest strength is my newborn work and that is what I am most known for in my area. So this year I am doing all things Maternity/Newborn and Babies 1st year.
5. How would you describe your style of photography and where do you find your inspiration?
I feel like I am soft and dreamy. Most of my sessions consist of creams and whites with a splash of soft colors mixed with earthy tones. As much as I love the bold colors that I see, it's just not me and when I try it I never love it as much as soft and dreamy.
Oh gosh, I find inspiration everywhere. I have many photographers that I absolutely adore and love browsing their Facebook and blogs, but I also find inspiration by walking through a fabric store or driving down the road. I think whether you are a newborn photographer or any type of photographer you can't help but look at things differently then others would, from the way light is coming through a tree line, to a perfect sized bucket you see in a store that you just know a newborn would look adorable popping out of.
6. Have you taken any photography workshops and/or training?
When I first picked up a camera and asked for guidance I was pointed in the direction of Clickin' Moms, so I joined right away and gathered as much knowledge as I could by participating in the news feed and then did a few editing classes and a studio light class to help me along the way. I then realized that I am not much for learning via the computer; I am more of a hands-on learner! So I flew to California and did a 1:1 mentorship with Megan Squires, she is absolutely as sweet as she seems and has one amazing little studio! I then thought for a quick second (and I do mean quick) that I might want to try weddings, so I took a workshop with Julie Paisley. Julie was amazing and she made wedding photography look fun but I quickly decided that I'd just stick with babies. And then last year I hosted a workshop for Kristin Mackey of Son Kissed Photography, and it was amazing, I LOVE Kristin!
7. Where do you like to shop for your props? Do you have favorite vendors?
Unfortunately I have way too much practice in this area! I really need to find a meeting to help with my prop addiction; I swear the RTS on Facebook is the worst for me! I do have some favorites and go to shops for when I am looking for something special or need some retail therapy! I love Baby Bliss Photography Props, Mia Joy Studios, Prop Me Up Prop Shop, Harbor Knits, Bri's Creations, No.2 Willow Lane and The Knitting Bitty for all things knitted or upcycled. And then Props I love Mr. & Mrs. And Co., TFJ design, Woodsy Wonder, JD Vintage. And fabrics (which in my opinion is the only way to go) I love Bonbon Photography Props and Roses and Ruffles. Oh and for Maternity ware I love Lela's Maternity & Newborn Props.
8. Please share with us your top 5 favorite images! Why are they your favorites?
This one is hard to narrow down to 5, I have the cutest little clients and I feel like with every session I gain a new favorite. I just purged my files from my computer Jan 1 so these five faves are all from this year so far.
One of my favorite poses is the tush up pose, I love the little back wrinkles that form and love how there little feet cross and there toes stick out. It's just one of those poses that I love every time I see it.
My cream moon is one of my favorite props to use. It just seems so classic and a never out of style kind of prop. Seriously what baby wouldn't look absolutely adorable sleeping peacefully under the stars lying on the moon! And when you add Keri's Twinkle Twinkle overlay it is to die for, probably my most requested prop and picture lately.
In every session I love to do a couple variations of baby in dad’s hands, it shows just how small they are and I love how she is holding his finger in this one.
Every parent that comes in to the studio always wants the froggy pose, I used to dread this pose but now it is one of my favorites and I am happy to say that I get it with 99% of my babies.
These twins were my first twins of 2014 and I love sessions with multiples, as a mom of twins myself I feel a special little connection with my families of multiples. These girls were tough little wiggle worms but this image is probably one of my very favorites, I feel like it completely describes my work from attention to every detail to the light soft colors and the dreamy soft look. I love everything about it 100%.
9. What are three things you wish someone would have told you when you started your photography business?
a) That it is a waste to invest a ton of money into props and such until you know what your style is! This actually may have been told to me but really it needs to be in BIG BOLD LETTERS because I did NOT listen.
b) That taking an in person workshop is the way to go once you know which direction you want to go with your career.
c) Meet your local "competition" and make friends! My greatest friends are ones I have met through photography and most of them are within an hour or so of me, I love getting together with these girls!
10. What is your photography site, blog url, NewbornPhotography.com url and any other sites that you would like to share?
11. What are your favorite things about NewbornPhotography.com? How long have you been a member?
I love the special guests with the live chats! They are probably one of my favorite things to participate in. And I love sharing images and looking at everyone else's images, there are so many good ones posted. I have been a member since the first week or so I believe.
12. UGH, I hate writing about me! I am 35, but feel like I can't be more then 25, I really don't know how I am getting so old so fast! I have been married to my very supportive husband Steve for 12 years and we have 4 amazing little munchkins, Mason (9) Madyson (9) Myleigh (4) and Mia (1).........and we are DONE!!! In my spare time (or my "me" time), I love to ride and show horses. I am a diet coke addict and love all things junk food and could eat pizza every day. Some may call me a workaholic, I would schedule a session every day if I could..... especially newborns, of course. I have an insane amount of patience when it comes most things. I love that my parents and my brother’s family are our neighbors, and that my kids are growing up with such close family ties. I am an optimist and love thinking about the possibilities. I feel like I am on top of "my own" little world right now and couldn't be happier with where life has taken me, I have a beautiful healthy happy and supportive family, a thriving business doing something that I absolutely love and most of the time doesn't even feel like work, and so many new things coming up this year that I am just plain giddy about. I am looking forward to a fun year of traveling some and creating new friendships, while teaching workshops and sharing my passion with others.
Thank you so much for sharing with us, Andrea! It was a pleasure getting to know you better!
Would you like to be our next Spotlight Photographer of the Week? Please e-mail Keri at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Spotlight Photographer" and we'll get you on the calendar!